Shape up or ship out… cupcake?April 23, 2008 at 1:13 PM | Posted in cupcakes | 28 Comments
Tags: square cupcakes
When I think about the reasons why I love cupcakes I usually mention the “cake” – moist and fluffy or the “frosting” – smooth, silky, sugar rush or the portable bite size-ability of the whole cupcake package. It never crossed my mind that there was another characteristic that I hadn’t even considered.
“… and how do you feel about a square?”
A new cupcakery, Cupcakes Squared, in San Diego, CA, owned by Robin Wisotsky, wanted to set her cupcakery apart from all the other trendy cupcakeries out there by baking up square cupcakes. Whaaaaaaat?
Whoa. Wait a minute. Square? Cupcakes? I can’t even wrap my brain around that concept. I need visuals… stat!
(photo credit: San Diego Foodstuff)
Alrighty then… now that I can see what I am up against I’ve written down some pros and cons.
1. The square shape would make traveling easier, more apt to stay up than topple over and roll around.
2. Making the ever popular cupcake-cake would be oodles easier since squares stack next to each other more symmetrically to create that illusion of a sheet cake.
3. A square shape gives you more square footage for your money (if we’re talking equivalent pricing)
4. The toppings wouldn’t roll off the cupcake as easily.
5. It would be really easy to fit a square cupcake as a gift or wedding favor in a cute little square box and bow.
1. The round shape compliments the swirl of the frosting better to me.
2. The round shape fits in your mouth better than a square. (Try to keep it G-rated, Nikki. LOL)
3. Squares make me think of brownies not cupcakes.
4. Round shape is easier to hold b/c of the natural curve of your hand.
5. You’d have to buy custom made packaging, liners if you want to bake square cupcakes.
My pros seem like more (my) opinion than “facts”. I guess it just doesn’t look like a cupcake to me without the whimsical round cylindrical shape but… I can admire the ingenuity and creativity of thinking outside the cupcake box.
Got anything to add to my list? What are your thoughts on the cupcake shape theory?
Leave me a comment.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.